Saturday, November 8, 2014

Near the end of the 2014 Season

So, haven't blogged for a while, but have gone from unemployed, to finishing my CCNP, to employed by a pretty shady company, to unemployed, to employed by the State of Texas, and then a short time later, as a Network Architect for the City of Austin.

Now that I've got a steady paycheck coming in, wife is finished with school, it's time to start taking autocross seriously again.

The 328 has had the Koni's installed, and that's it. It's running in F-street class, which I should win locally as the heavy hitters, including the 2013 F-Street national champion, race in what we call the X-Pro class, which is mainly for people that have had success at the national level and want to run on a PAX basis against the others with similar experience/car prep.

It's a bit fun still to likely win a class in what is probably the most underpowered, mis-classed car in the class, which includes V-8 Mustangs, Camaro's, and the E-46 and E92 M3. I mainly did it by showing up to the required 6 races. I'm not sure anyone else did or will have. A win by default. I'll take it, lol.

I don't think I've finished less than third, so I think I've put out the effort, and I think most of the cars competing had me by 100hp, except for one 128i, which was up by probably 35-50 hp.

This was all done on a set of cast off used Dunlop Z-2's. Autocross on a budget to the max !





and year end points with one race left



The 328 was rear ended a couple months ago, pretty much sealing it's fate to be an autocross car for the rest of it's life. The wreck has cracked the exhaust manifold, it appears, and will get some e-bay headers sometime soon. I'll have coinciding builds going on with it going to D-Street Prepared class, and a to-be-purchased Z3, for which the spare motor and tranny will be built up for for the F-prepared class.

I've been toying around with some ideas for an E-46 M3 as a daily as well, but one of the previously mentioned projects would have to give for that to happen. I'll need a tow vehicle and trailer of some sort as well, but that may not happen until later in the year. I'll be coming into some $$$ around the beginning of the year, but it is earmarked for quite a few different things.

Before


After






I've been toying around with some ideas for an E-46 M3 as a daily as well, but one of the previously mentioned projects would have to give for that to happen. I'll need a tow vehicle and trailer of some sort as well, but that may not happen until later in the year. I'll be coming into some $$$ around the beginning of the year, but it is earmarked for quite a few different things.







2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the certification, job, and the win! I'll have to show you the 335i I got a few months ago. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks !, congrats on the 335. I had been thinking about a 335d since my commute is so long, but it looks like taking the train is going to work for me most of the time, so I'm not sure what I'll end up with eventually. Likely an E46 M3, if I had to guess.

    ReplyDelete